Key Stage 3: 11-14 Years Meat Types & Cuts
Introduction to the module
The aim of this module is to help pupils have a clearer understanding about meat types and cuts.
It consists of:
- A PowerPoint presentation exploring meat types and cuts
- A Question Sheet that can be used in different ways – as a test of knowledge or can be used for pupils to fill in whilst watching the presentation.
- Answer sheet linked to the above question sheet.
- Key learning fact sheet
- 3 posters – illustrating the different cuts of Welsh Lamb, Welsh Beef and Pork.
- The cuts are colour coded to help students understand the characteristics of the cuts and the most suitable way of cooking a particular cut of meat.
- Suggested further activities sheet
Key learning from this module
- Most people buy their meat in the form of cuts, joints or mince or in ready prepared products e.g. Burgers, Ham and Sausages.
- The modern Consumer is looking for meat that is versatile, convenient, easy to store and easy to cook.
- Different cuts of meat have different characteristics and this will determine how that cut is prepared and cooked -which cooking method is best suited to that cut.
- We also get Offal from the carcass – it’s not strictly a meat cut but edible and found inside the carcass e.g. liver and kidneys.
- We also get some cuts from the external part of the carcass e.g. Oxtail.
Suggested Further Activities Sheet
- Ask the pupils to look at the posters and discuss why particular cuts are more suited to a particular cooking method.
- Use the posters as a quiz – from which part of the carcass do we get a particular cut? eg. Rib eye steak.
- Ask pupils what is their favourite meat dish? – which cut do you use for that dish.
- Ask pupils to identify offal and list as many as they can, then think of recipes using offal.
- Conduct a survey of Supermarket shelf or butchers window to identify the different cuts on display.
Key Stage 3 11-14 Years
Know your Beef Meat Cuts
An A3 poster outlining the variety of cuts available from a beef carcase.
Know your Lamb Meat Cuts
An A3 poster outlining the variety of cuts available from a lamb carcase.
Know your Pork Meat Cuts
An A3 poster outlining the variety of cuts available from a pig carcase.